Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mysterious Mike


We have just returned from Gloucester. We got very very wet but had a great time visiting with Tim, Emmy, Cathy and Chris. When I was younger, I didn't really understand phrases such as "It does my heart good" or "a sight for sore eyes". As I've grown and as I've had experiences such as visiting Gloucester and leaving there feeling very much at ease again, I understand such sayings a bit better. It actually does my heart good to return to Gloucester once in a while. When I start feeling grouchy, ill at ease and not really comfortable in my own skin I know it's time to go breathe in some sea air. When I see everyone again, it is indeed a sight for sore eyes.


We were able to go to dinner with Tim and Emmy last night and Tim regaled us with a number of stories--one tidbit we learned is that Grampie apparently was a boxer back in the day. He boxed as "Mysterious Mike". I don't have any idea where that non de plume came from but I'm betting the Mike had something to do with the Irish. When he told ms this, I had a hard time picturing that in my mind's eye. Then I started looking around for a picture for this blog entry. Looking at Grampie here, I think I can kind of picture Mysterious Mike.


More new stories to come and this will give me a new research road to travel down.

And it's a grand journey indeed.

No comments: