Sunday, November 29, 2009

Celebrations Past


This is a picture of Judy and Weenie that I think is especially nice. Not only do both Judy and Weenie look very happy and comfortable, but it also brings back memories of the celebration of Nanny and Weenie's 50th wedding anniversary in November 1982. This was taken at a restaurant and I think it might have been our Thanksgiving dinner that year.

This copy of their wedding invitation shows the ceremony was scheduled for 7 AM! I remember Jessie first noticed this and we can all agree this seemed odd. I clearly recall that neither of them was an early riser. This was in contrast to most of their neighbors at the park and Nanny seemed to take pride in their "signal" of leaving the curtains drawn until they were ready for company in the morning. I am not sure why their wedding was scheduled for that time of the day--perhaps the church schedule or perhaps something to do with effects of the Great Depression. But, 7AM?? Nanny and Weenie??

Their wedding announcement in the Salamanca Republican Press described Nanny's outfit as " a green tweed suit, beaver trimmed; with accessories in corresponding shade. Her flowers were a shoulder coursage of roses and lilies of the valley." Her sister Teen (in brown tweed and corresponding accessories) and brother in law were attendants. They honeymooned in Canada. It seemed like a pretty low key affair by our standards but I believe it was in keeping with wedding traditions of the day.

I don't know about you, but I don't think we'll make it to 50 years married--Can you even imagine the year 2035? It's like that song "In the year" I can hear it now "In the year 2035, when the kids are middle aged... If woman can survive ...They may find themselves ....with a cake..." All right, that was bad but I'm allowed! I'm 78 by then so I'm forgiven alot. Remember that.

1 comment:

PaulaO said...

I love the picture of Judy and Weenie! I still wish I had been there for the celebration...

I think 7 a.m. is early for a wedding, even for people who get up early! Imagine the guests.. but it was different time than today. The important thing then was probably the fact that two poeple wanted to commit to being together and start a family. I imagine it was a family event.

I think Jim and Patty Anne will reach that 50 year mark and we will all be saying, "how did the time pass so quickly?" I hope we are all there to celebrate with you!