

It shouldn't surprise you to learn that I read other bloggers and one of my favorites is called Passing It On by Larry Lehmer. I just happened to stumble across it somehow and his posts very often hit close to home for me, such as a recent posting he calls Your Life as a Plate: Handle with Care. He advises readers to consider their lives being a great deal like a plate--sometimes full, sometimes empty and so on.
Of course, I have to take that analogy a step or two further. Experts caution that one of the reasons we all eat too much and too poorly these days is because our plates have grown by perhaps as much as 25% in size from the plate our parents and grandparents used. This certainly seems to bear out as I compare the relative sizes of my Depression glass collection and our everyday china. I also am somewhat larger than I used to be--I've grown in size physically right along with those plates. I have also grown emotionally and intellectually at least that much--I hope. (I could live without growing sideways though)
Plates are generally held close yet often treated as if easily replaceable. Like our lives. We might admire how pretty they make the table look yet we kind of throw them back in the cupboard without much care or thought. They are just there when we need them the next time. Like our health. If you've ever dumped your food into your lap from a flimsy paper plate, you appreciate the sturdiness of decent china. Like our friendships.
These are pictures of Nanny's china (Winterling Bavaria). I believe it was a wedding gift. I love having this china since it makes me think of Nanny. It's pretty and appeals to my taste for such things. I use it whenever I think of it because I think it's important to bring it out, admire it, talk about it and think of Nanny. Larry Lehmer says "Above all, make certain that your kids and grandkids know and understand your plate’s history. It is your legacy." Indeed, the stories will be my legacy.
So take good care of your plates, big or small; old or new.
2 comments:
I HAVE TO MUCH ON MY PLATE MOST DAYS. WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE I REALLY COULD NOT TELL YOU, BACK TO THE TO MUCH ON THE PLATE THING. I HAVE TO AGREE, A GOOD PLATE IS WORTH HAVING. WHO WANTS A GOOD DINNER IN THE LAP? NOT ME!
I must admit that my plate has been full at times in my life, and a little empty at others. No complaints for me. I've (obviously) had plenty of "nourishment".
I don't remember using Nanny's china when I was younger. I don't think that Mom had it for long, did she? I remember Mom's "china". It had silver trim on the outside and a delicate pink and gray pattern along the edges. I think that she got it at the Super Duper in pieces as a promotional thing. You know, if you buy $50 worth of groceries, you can get a set of four plates for $5.99, or something like that. Does anyone else remember that?
Unfortunatley, I just looked at my everyday plates, and they are so big, my cupboard doesn't shut all the way! I guess I'm part of the problem...but I'm full and happy, or is that fat and happy?!
Post a Comment