It's been quite an extraordinary start to the day and to the summer of 2012. I slept til 10 AM which is nearly unheard of for me. It meant that I missed graduation, which I was wavering on anyhow so to have the decision made for me in this manner seems like a clear message. I wasn't meant to go.
I was watering the plants this morning and heard a fluttering rustling noise nearby. I thought it was a large butterfly or moth but I realized it was a hummingbird. He stuck around long enough for me to figure that out and to stare at him for a bit. I doubt he was considering me nectar especially since popular opinion would give you just the opposite viewpoint. Although he may have been trying to tell me his feeder needed a refill, I prefer to think he was delivering some good will. It felt magical, that's for sure.
So I believe this grants some positive karma on our graduate today Ryan Patrick. Congratulations! We are all very proud of you and I am sure your grandparents are smiling down on you with great pride today. Someone get Judy another tissue.
It's also Calvin and Claire's first birthday. Twins are blessing enough but I am especially happy for Cathy and Chris and Julia and wish them all well. We don't get to see them enough but we hope to stay in contact enough that the kids will know who we are. This morning's events here in my little world seem karmic for them as well.
This time of year brings retirements to mind as well (especially when we are so very close). I often think about Mom's age at certain turning points but I haven't given much thought to Dad's. I can't remember exactly when he retired but I do recall it following some rocky times with new administration. And I think he may have retired fairly young though it didn't seem so to me at the time. He would have been 55 in 1982 so he could have retired June 1983. I realize now that he must have felt some discomfort (and probably anger) at the changes he saw near the end of his tenure. I realize that because I'm feeling that as well and I think it must be a pretty standard pattern--one that helps you separate from your work life. A natural progression.
I hope you have an extraordinary weekend!
1 comment:
I was lucky to attend Ryan Patrick's graduation. It was a very nice ceremony. The speehes were really good. The whole set up was nice. Ryan P was so handsome in his cap and gown!
We missed you and Jim at the party. It was great that Ryan James came to "represent" the Dalpiaz clan!
I loved that Kevin and Sarah brought John too! He was constant motion! What a joy!
I'm not ready for retirement. I wish I was. But I can't think too much about it, or I'll really long for it.
Post a Comment