Sunday, March 4, 2012

I found some articles about Weenie that I don't remember.  I'm sure I must have seen these at some point since they are in my piles and piles of family history trivia, but I don't remember these and I thought you might like to see them too. 

These are contained within a folder of Hall of Fame induction programs for 1970 (Weenie's year) and 1969.  Inside the induction programs are programs for the game held that day.  On Feb 14 1970, St. Bonaventure played Providence College and it was the ECAC Game of the Week.  One of the captains of the team was senior Bob Lanier who went on to become a well respected NBA player for Detroit and Milwaukee.  I can remember Weenie talking about how big this kid's feet were (size 22).  Until I saw these articles, I had forgotten this game and the Hall of Fame ceremonies were broadcast on network TV.  I can't remember who stayed with us since Mom and Dad were there also. 


It tickles me to note he's described as "not beefy enough" (an understatement) and 40 years later his great grandson is described as BEEFY and chugging around the bases to win his league championship.

I love this drawing.  It's from the Hall of Fame program.


Just a little something I thought you might enjoy. 

1 comment:

PaulaO said...

I loved reading about Weenie in such a glowing way! WE loved him and thought of him as a very special person, but to have someone, not related, talk about him with such respect is really a treat.

I remember when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame at St. Bonaventure. I remember watching it on TV. Then it was on the news later, and I was at the bowling alley with my friends and we all stopped and watched a recap. I was so proud. I couldn't tell you who was with us while Mom and Dad went to this, but I do remember seeing it on television and being so proud. (that was at age 10 for me)

Now, at age 52, reading what he accomplished, I'm even more impressed. He was a little man in stature, but a big man in accomplishments.

He was the BEST grandfather ever.

Oh, I loved that they used the word "Beefy", as the writters did about Ryan... just love the history and the connection.