I'm taking a great personal risk here by posting this picture. The 43rd Grape Festival was held in Silver Creek this past weekend and I was reminded of my own small footprint in the history of Festival of Grapes.
My recollection is that this was the first time the Festival held a "Queen" contest which I decided to enter. I have no idea what I was thinking--perhaps I was thinking that I might actually do OK since it didn't seem like too many people were entering so my chances were better. Entrants may have had to write an essay and there was an interview process as part of the selection. The interviews were held in a restaurant meeting room out on Route 5/20 near Sunset Bay. I was thrilled to learn I'd made the cut and was one of the final 10 contestants.
For the BIG day, we had to dress (see above) and present a speech. I forget the topic but I remember I took a bit of an odd road through that speech in addressing the assigned topic. I'm pretty sure I made God a major player in this heartfelt presentation addressing how I would make the world a better place or something equally 1972. I worked hard on writing and memorizing this oral representation of the future queen.
Meanwhile, Mom and Jean were scheming about my physical presentation. The dress is something from Jean's closet and the makeup was also courtesy of Jean. I knew this wasn't "me" and I didn't really like the mascara and the hairspray and I think there's a bow in my hair. Of course, I needed to wear my POW bracelet which I guess was a weak effort to retain a little bit of authority over my own body at that point because the Good Lord knows (see, he really was part of this story) I had no other control over Hurricane Jean. I don't know if Mom was similarly bowled over but I like to think so.
I made the final 10 on the interview and was disappointed to learn that late entrants had been allowed due to the small field of contestants. The BIG DAY was held in the auditorium of the Main Street School. I remember being on the stage making my prepared speech and tripping up on my words. And I clearly recall Dad's wince and "damn it" hand gesture from his seat in the audience. I had disappointed him and he made it obvious. If nothing else had sealed the deal for me that this had been a very bad idea on my part, that "damn it" swing of his fist across his chest permanently placed this episode in the "Please-can-we-just-forget-this-forever" list we all keep.
Of course I did not bring home the Grape crown--one of the late entrants did. I thought that was really unfair. I'd been dressed out like a Thanksgiving turkey and not lived up to my Dad's expectations --could it really get any worse? Yes, the winner wasn't a fair and square entrant. No wonder I've hidden that picture from the general public for all these years.
But I've put it out there to serve as a reminder to remain true to yourself.

3 comments:
It's funny that you chose to post this picture. I was thinking about it over the weekend. Judy and I have been talking about concord grapes and my thoughts wandered to the Grape Festival. It was usually the third weekend in September.
I remember how odd it was to see you looking like you did in that picture. I remember thinking, it didn't even look like you! I remember Jean's influence on it all. I never went to the competition. I'm sure you did better than you describe.
I like the lesson of staying true to who you are... always good advise. I'm sure whoever WAS queen that weekend, doesn't have the wonderful life you have had... a great husband, two terrific kids, and a career of teaching young people to be true to themselves! Sometimes the rewards are better than a crown!
If there were only 10 contestants, why are you wearing number 32?
Good question, Judy!
Post a Comment