
"It's not what you say but how you say it."
How many times did we hear that? I have been thinking about the things Mom and Dad (mostly Dad) used to say to us when we were young. I remember thinking - that is sooooo stupid.
Well, I now understand those things and actually find myself telling the boys the same things (OH GOD!)
I guess I just wanted to share my thoughts with you and hope that we all learned from Mom and Dad's wisdom.
I also remember:
"You're getting there"
"If it is not cooked enough, I will put it back on the grill"
"Mothers don't want to know everything" -- I couldn't agree with this more.
"Everything will take care of itself" -- this was Weenies as I remember, but it has gotten me through some really rough times.
I am sure that there are dozens more, what do you remember?
3 comments:
THEN I didn't understand "Don't wish your life away" or "No good deed goes unpunished" but NOW I understand them very well.....great post idea Judy
It's not what you said, it's how you said it... oh how I hated that phrase! I constantly got in trouble for saying what was expected of me, but adding my form of acid to the delivery. I swore I would NEVER say that to my children.... My, how time changes perspective! I rarely did say those exact words, but the lesson was definately handed out on several occasions.
One thing Mom said to me when I was trying to make a particularly difficult decision, was that making the decision is the hardest part, then everything else seems to fall into place. She was right about that. Which goes along with "everything will take care of itself".
Mom and Dad were right about many things. Most of which you have said in your post. I think the hardest thing we all realize is that we, in one form or another, end up parrotting our parents. Mostly because the lessons stand true. Take comfort, our children will be saying the same things to their children one day...
"Everything will take care of itself"...
I can hear my mom saying those words to me over and over again! "It's not what you say, it's how you say it."
Post a Comment