Saturday, August 21, 2010

A surprise around every corner

 It's kind of hard for me to believe that I could still be finding things around this house that surprise me leftover from Mom and Dad.  I was cleaning Amy's room and found the Grandmother's Book I gave Mom so she could record her memories for her grandchildren.  Today the book itself is in the same pristine shape as the day I presented it to her but tucked inside I found a sheet of paper handwritten by Mom with the notes below.  I assume these are her memories in freestyle format.  I thought they needed to be shared.  The notes are handwritten in pencil on yellow paper and don't reproduce well, but it was a site for sore eyes to see her careful handwriting (and questionable spelling) once again!


A world without plastic, wringer washers, clothes lines as dryers, milk in glass bottles delivered everyday, cream frozen in winter, all wool snow suits, Run Spot--See Jane--Dee Dick, cloth diapers only, rationing food and gasoline, shortages of hose and cigarettes, 10 cent movies, soda shops that smelled wonderful, calling a store with a grocery order and having it delivered, two mail deliveries a day, ice boxes, an hour fo rlunch from school everyone went home, sterile silent gloomy libraries, not being allowed to see Gone With the Wind until I was in college--too risque, fish on Fridays, no TV until 1954, radio stories--suspense, Green Hornet, Gang Busters, Jack Armstrong, FDR, WWII, Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, March of Time, standard shift, two lane roads, 25 cent gallon gasoline, ethnic prejudice (racial and religious), Wooden sleds with metal runners (coasters), Shirley Temple, Betsy Wetsey, passenger trains, beautiful train stations, doctors who made house calls, polio, iron lungs, measles, mumps

Tucked into this folded sheet of paper was a collection of photos, some of them new to me.  This one is dated August 18 1975 almost exactly 35 years ago.  It's riddled with tack holes presumably from being on the cork board by the refrigerator for a lifetime.  Gotta love those pigtails Paula!

2 comments:

PaulaO said...

Wow! I never thought of Mom as a writer streaming her thoughts together like that. Fasinating.

Love the picture! That must be when we first got Benny! I do remember that shirt...I don't know why I remember it, but I do!

Pat D said...

Chris wondered how his nickname Rocky came about--I don't really remember that for sure. As for why Weenie didn't drink, I always had the idea it was by choice. He certainly drank when he was younger. I think there's evidence in a video or early pictures. I never had the feeling it was medical but it did seem he didn't want to talk about why.