Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Memorial Day is Almost Here


I went over to the Walton Cemetary this week to discover that they had put out the flags honoring the veterans. It was so nice to see all the flags waving in the breeze. It is hard to think of Dad overseas fighting in a war. He hardly ever talked about it. I do remember he talked about his time in World War II after we went over to Oneonta to see "Saving Private Ryan". He talked the whole way home. I wish I had had a tape recorder, because I've forgotten most of what he said. What I do remember is that there were times when he was afraid. Another feeling I don't associate with Dad. Do any of you have memories of Dad's service? Or stories he told?
I met a young Marine while I was in Wilmington with Timmy. He was back from his third tour in Afghanistan. The vehicle he was in had been hit with an IED. He was blown right out of the hummer. He was the only survivor. He is 24 years old. His eyes looked like he was 50, because of all he has seen. It really impacted me to visit with him. He wanted to talk about his experiences. It made me think of Dad and wonder what he saw.
Thanks to all the veterans.

4 comments:

Pat D said...

Very nicely put, Paula. Thank you for reminding us about the "Memorial" in Memorial Day.

CHRIS said...

I remember asking Tim, many, many years ago, about Vietnam and he said it was something you didn't talk about and that was the end of it. Don't know if that meant a family thing or not but thought I would share that.

CHRIS said...

I SEE THE BUTTERFLY WE LEFT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO IS STILL THERE, IT LIGHTS UP AND CHANGES COLORS. CORNY I KNOW BUT I LIKED IT WHEN WE SAW THEM IN THE STORE. WAS THE GLASS FLOWER STILL AT MARY JANES? LORI PICKED THAT UP AND THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NICE TO PUT SEXT TO MARY JANE.

PaulaO said...

Yes, Chris and Lori, the glass flower is still there. I guessed that they were from you. I thought the butterfly was cool. Mom would have liked it, I'm sure. I try to think of things like that, but never see anything I think will be nice. I like the flower too. We are lucky that most things get left alone at the Walton cemetary.

I know it's unusual to take pictures at a cemetary, but it was really quite beautiful with all the flags waving in the breeze.