Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy 50th Paula!

Happy Birthday Paula!  I thought it might be a good idea to put 50 years in perspective with some of the other great things that are 50:  Domino's Pizza, Etch a Sketch, Flintstones, Andy Griffith TV show, Green Eggs and Ham

Fifty years ago, another Olympics was wrapping up in Squaw Valley and it was the first televised Olympics.  Apparently this was the scene of the "original" Miracle on Ice.  ABC paid a pittance for the rights after the other networks declined.  Isn't that something?

Ray Charles recorded his version of Georgia on My Mind in 1960 which brought him great reward.  JFK won the Democratic nomination for President which placed him permanently and squarely into the history books.  The Family Circus cartoon debuted Feb 29 1960 along with Paula.

Paula was born on Leap Year Day which was a Monday in 1960:  "Monday's child is fair of face..." (Me too!). I imagine it looked pretty much like it does today outside when Mom and Dad brought her home to the house on Olive Street to 3 older siblings.  I think we moved to Dennison Road that year also. Now look how far we've come!
 
Yep--scary isn't it?

4 comments:

PaulaO said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes....and history lesson! I had a great time the other night. I'm so glad you were able to share it with me.

I love learning all the things that happened the year I was born. I knew a few of them, but I learned a few, thanks!

Still trying to figure out WHY we built the pyramid...

Judy said...

You're kidding, right????


You INSISTED THAT WE DO A PYRAMID!!!

Pat D said...

Yeah...you did, although Jim encouraged too.

PaulaO said...

My problem is, I don't know WHY I wanted to build a pyramid. I know it wasn't my idea. I just liked the idea.... How did it get started?