Saturday, November 8, 2008

Food for thought


It's November, so naturally my thoughts turn to FOOD! I was planning to share the homemade lemon sherbet recipe. I remember that being such a treat--it was so good! I recall the metal loaf pan that Mom would put the sherbet into and the little bits of lemon rind giving the sherbet a slight bitter taste to offset some of the sweet. I am pretty sure it was the same metal loaf pan Mom used for meatloaf. How could that wonderful sherbet come from the same pan as that meatloaf??


So, I went looking for the recipe. I have Mom's 1950 Betty Crocker Cookbook, her handwritten cookbook and her recipe box. Talk about misplaced heirlooms. These should be with someone who cooks and might use a recipe the way I use phone numbers to make dinner.


But I discovered tonight that these do have significant family historical value. Here you see a scan I made of a cookie recipe from Mom's handwritten cookbook that notes it was from Nanny Ryan in 1963. I don't ever remember these particular cookies but I find it fascinating that it comes from Nanny Ryan, whom I know was a good cook.


There are recipes in Mom's handwriting, Nanny's, Kathy's, mine, Dad's and a couple others I am not certain of. Most are handwritten or typed. Very few are clipped from magazines or newspapers (most of mine are). The lemon sherbet is typed out on an index card and has obviously been pulled out many many times. It is too badly stained to scan and place up on this blog for you.


There are a couple of things I remember in particular: lemon sauce for gingerbread and the famous chicken barbeque sauce/marinade. The original recipes are here and my versions of these lack several of the ingredients from the original!! I guess it's evidence of recipe evolution.


It occurs to me that it would be fun to have everyone grab a couple of these and try them out. Then we could have some kind of buffet. Maybe we could do something with them for the Ryan Christmas celebration. What do you think?

2 comments:

PaulaO said...

I think it's a great idea! It should bring back lots of memories. I don't remember those cookies either, but I might try them. I'm not much of a baker, but I do like to cook.

I remember the lemon sherbet too. The lemon rind bits, and the loaf pan are both things I remember also.

Do you remember Mom's cream puffs? THAT was a treat! I tried making them once, they aren't as easy as you would think. And Mom did them very well.

Let me know what you want me to make. Id like to have a buffet with things from those recipe books.

CHRIS said...

I WILL GIVE SOMETHING A TRY, I WOULD RATHER COOK THAN BAKE, LIKE PAULA. NOT FUSSY WHAT, LET ME KNOW. PATTY ANNE, YOU CAN EMAIL ME OR SEND ONE ALONE. CHRIS