Friday, December 6, 2013

Back in the Day 1987

I recently saw that 2013 is a year in which none of the numerals repeat themselves.  This has not been so since 1987.  (Good evidence right here that I spend way too much time surfing the web.)  So I thought it would be fun to take a little walk down memory lane to 1987 and compare it to 2013.

Ronald Reagan was president and the New York Giants beat Denver in the Super Bowl back in the day when the Super Bowl was held in January :)  Les Miserables and Married with Children debuted speaking to the social conscience of the day.  Mark McGwire is a rookie and Jessica McClure falls down a well which captivates the media for the next several days as we all watched anxiously.


Jim and I had been married for two years or so when we learned that Amy was on the way. First time pregnancies fill your brain in ways few other things are able to so most of the remaining part of that year was focused on our new status as parents.


This was taken on a camping trip in June that we took with Glenn and Cheryl to Sandy Pond.  Shortly later, we learned I was pregnant and I remember thinking we'd spent this weekend not knowing this important news.  Cheryl told us that weekend that she was expecting Kaitlyn.  Little did I know.

This is where we lived until 1991.  I liked that car.  I'd almost forgotten it.

We returned to Rocky Shores Inn in Gloucester to celebrate our anniversary.  This place did not allow children so it was our last visit for a while.  Jim's really rocking those shorts, right?



Jim helping Mary Jane with her Christmas tree that year.

 We spent Thanksgiving with Nanny.  Swore never ever to fly again on Thanksgiving weekend.
 We chaperoned the senior trip to Disney that year.  I think it was their 15th birthday and my first visit.

Awww.  Harry

2013.  Barack Obama is POTUS -- something I wonder if Reagan ever considered might happen.  The Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl in New Orleans and they weren't even a team yet in 1987.  Cinderella debuted on Broadway and we went to see it.  It did surprisingly well even garnering some Tony nominations and winning one for costume design.  The Goldbergs debuted on network TV--a show ABOUT the 80s.  Yikes.  And the media event of the year was probably the Baby Watch for young Prince George.  Nothing like royal weddings and babies to capture media attention.

We welcomed Birdie, Grace and Lori to the family tree!  How lucky are we?  I got to honor Mom's long standing wish by taking a trip to Ireland AND spending extended time in Gloucester.  Retirement is truly a blessing.  

This is a 2013 version of a sunset picture after I've been working on some photography skills.

On that 1987 Disney trip, I suffered from some pointed remarks from my companions regarding the number of pictures I took of flowers.  I like to think I have refined those skills also.  Pictures now are decidedly more scenic harking back to the days (1987) when there weren't children's sweet faces and antics filling the viewfinder.  We now have 3 cats rather than good ole Harry.  You'll notice he still had his full tail back then.

And a pretty cool 1987 photo sprinkled with some 2013 style magic!



And, last but not least (even though it took place early in 2013), there was the famous Ryan Christmas celebration at Judy's.

Hope to see you all Jan 5 here at noon!
It will be 2014, another year in which the numerals do not repeat but a post like this will not repeat :)




1 comment:

PaulaO said...

Nice! I don't really know what it means that none of the numbers in 2013 repeats, but I'm glad it had you do this retrospective! It has brought back some really good memories, and showed more of Jim's legs than I really needed to see again!

I like the new look of the blog too! Keeping it fresh.

Looking forward to seeing everyone for the holidays! Ho! Ho! Ho!