Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Happy Franksgiving anyone?

Everyone is probably preparing themselves for their Thanksgiving and hoping the impending storm doesn't screw up plans.  Boreas.  How do they come up with this stuff?  I'm on the fence about whether I think naming winter storms is a good idea but giving them names no one recognizes or can pronounce seems counterproductive to their supposed purpose.  There.  I'm done with that.

Did you realize this blog is 7 years old this month?  Wow.  I'm pretty proud that I've been able to keep this up for that length of time.  Sometimes it's hard to come up with ideas, sometimes it's hard to just sit down and write but something keeps me moving forward with it.  I think I hope that someday this will be interesting or valuable to our children.  Who knows?  In the meantime, it gives me an outlet for sharing family history and my views on life in general. 

I got my Christmas angel tag today and it's for a 7 year old boy--his whole lifetime could be measured in this blog.  Anyway, he likes John Deere tractors, motorcycles and Monsters Inc.  This is going to be a fun shopping expedition!

This year's shopping season is a little shorter than usual because Thanksgiving is so late in the month.  I admit that the late Thanksgiving date has made it difficult for me to properly navigate events in the November calendar, but when some smarta** on Facebook noted that there are only 4 Saturdays between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I sat up and took note.

When I was researching information for this blog post, I came across an interesting little Thanksgiving factoid.  Apparently in 1939, the fourth Thursday in November (the traditional date to celebrate Thanksgiving) was late in the month, as it is this year.  At the time, it wasn't considered  proper to begin Christmas prior to Thanksgiving (imagine such a world!) and retailers were worried about the bottom line in a shortened shopping season especially as the Depression effects lingered.  President Franklin D. Roosevelt moved Thanksgiving back a week in order to allow the extra shopping week.  Did you know this?  Derisively, it was known as Franksgiving and resulted in certain and rapid response from our US Congress.  It's an interesting story. Check it out here.

In the meantime, here are some Thanksgiving Past memories:

 Cutie pies at 42 Bruce St before Mom declared a moratorium on holiday dinners.

 2012 our house. Cheers!

 1984 in Fort Myers


 Also 1957 I believe.

 Probably 1992. Classic Kids Table

Also probably 1992

1 comment:

PaulaO said...

My only comment on the storm naming is that I don't think it will catch on. I think it is a Weather Channel lure to draw people in. They get more viewers if the make the storm more dramatic. Here's hoping everyone can travel safe!

These Thanksgiving Past photos are really interesting. I don't remember where we were in those ones in the '80s. I'm pretty sure it's Patty Anne and Jim's, but I barely remember that location...

We all have so many things to be grateful for this year! Welcoming to our family, Lori! Not that we didn't consider her family all along... Welcoming Amy's Michael to the fold, officially! Patty Anne's retirement. We have all seen how great THAT has been for her (and us because she is doing do much more ancestry research).

And my family's contributions? Two more children to the family tree, Grace and Birdie! Life is good right now, isn't it?