Sunday, July 29, 2012

OK, you're the ones who got this started and now I can't stop.  Chris mentioned SOS, which I had completely forgotten!  Kathy says she still makes that once in a while.  One of my favorite dinners was the tuna salad (with celery) and french fries which we would have for meatless Fridays.  Never did understand how fish wasn't meat, but I didn't complain about having the tuna salad.

I'll bet this is another forgotten treat:
We didn't get this Danish pastry very often but I loved the almond paste.  I love how this is in her careful handwriting, all stained and discolored.  There's a backside to this with just the brief finishing touches so if you want it, let me know.  A recipe that takes two days won't go far in this household, that's for sure.

I was so sure I had the chicken marinade recipe in Dad's handwriting, but I guess not.  But here you go:
1 or 2 eggs
1/2 cup cooking oil
5 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1.5 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 cup vinegar
Beat all ingredients well (can add garlic or onion).  Let chicken soak well.  Grill, basting with extra sauce (yes, I know using the extra sauce the raw meat was sitting in isn't recommended, but that's the recipe I have!)

HOWEVER, pork chops and meatloaf were forever ruined for my palate as a result of childhood experiences!

1 comment:

PaulaO said...

FOOD! Glorious FOOD! So many of my memories are linked to food. I could comment everyday about it! I remember what a treat the danish was! I remember going to church on Easter Sunday, knowing there would be danish when we got home. I could think of nothing else! -except maybe how many jellybeans the Easter Bunny had brought me. Christ rising from the dead? I don't think I knew that happened until I was 11 or 12! - just kidding about that part. (It always makes me nervous to even joke about God or Christ... good old Catholic upbringing)

The Chicken recipe that you call Dad's recipe is actually one I got from some friends in Walton if my memory serves me right. It is originally from the old Miller's BBQ restaurant. It's an excellent recipe and I still make it. I do cut way back on the salt though. So that would mean that we never had that chicken when we were really little. We never had it until we moved to Walton, and a few years after we moved there, actually.

I do remember that Dad used to soak chicken in Italian salad dressing and then cook it on the grill and it was AWESOME! He used to take it to "Daddy Daughter" girl scout camp. All the other campers would be jealous because it smelled so good. I loved it! It was tough to cook well because the dressing would drip down on the coals and cause flair ups. Dad was good at it.

Do you remember Dad always asking if everything was cook well enougH? Because if it wasn't, he could always put it back on the grill, the coals were still warm. Then once one of us (not me) asked him to cook a burger longer and he got mad. He offered for years with no one ever taking him up on it, but when they did... boy, was he mad!

I still love to barbeque. Things just taste so good on a grill. Especially Chris' BBQ Shrimp!