Sunday, April 1, 2012

You've probably heard that the 1940 census is about to be released--at 8:30 AM tomorrow April 2 census images will be released after its lawful 72 year hibernation.  I expect to find Mom at about 6 years old (since her birthday is after the census date) in Olean; as well as Dad at 11 years old home with infant Peter.  Interestingly, Peter turned 72 himself yesterday Mar 31 so he grew up in this very census hibernation period. 

Mom's grandfather Henry dies in Aug 1940 so I expect to find him with his family in Olean.  Dad's grandfather Ryan is dead but his other grandparents remain so I'll be virtually knocking on their doors in the next few days.

This census is not yet indexed so I'll be going page by page seeking ancestors.  There are some finding aids available, primarily guides to 1940 EDs.  In 2012, you probably have a different phrase pop into your head when you see or hear ED, but in census speak, it refers to enumeration districts.  These are the geographic areas the census takers were expected to be able to cover in one month's time.  So urban areas have smaller enumeration districts (and more of them) than rural areas.  Gloucester and Olean will be challenging but the Italians in New York City will present bigger challenges.  Eventually the records will be indexed and I can track down whomever remains.

In addition to the census release this week, I also plan to spend a good deal of time researching in Gloucester while we are there next week.  The Gloucester trip and the census are hard work that I am eagerly anticipating. Who knows what surprises are in store?





1 comment:

PaulaO said...

Have I told you how glad I am that you do this research? I don't know the language, nor do I have the patients to do it myself. Thank you. We are all the richer for your efforts.