Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dennsion Road High Bridge

These pictures from 1967 show the destruction of the old "High Bridge" on Dennison Road, an event I can remember being a very big deal for those of us on Dennison Road.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of us appear in the background of these pictures.  I don't remember being there for the actual demolition but perhaps I was.  It was August so we were probably home with not much else to do.  Must have been some wonderfully cheap entertainment for the day. 
I think it's interesting how bridges seemed to play a role in our childhood.  When we moved to Buffalo Street, there was a bridge to cross to get downtown.  If I remember, we called that the High Bridge.  Seems like I recall it was quite old and rickety.  Last time I was in Silver Creek, I noticed that bridge was gone.  That one also did seem to be quite a way above just a little bit of water. 

Bridges didn't have that much significance to me in Walton but perhaps they did to you.  It reminds us that communities often sprang up near waterways for purposes of transporting goods, so naturally bridges would be needed along those waterways.  The article about the Dennison Road bridge seems to indicate the old bridge had been built around 1897--didn't seem that old to me, but who paid attention to that stuff as a kid?  But it does mean that there was a need for that roadway long long before we rode our bikes across to get to the other side! 

No comments: