I can't even remember the last time I went to a "summer blockbuster" nor the last time I went to a movie any time close to its opening (I'm pretty sure it was a Disney movie). It's just not something I do, but these 10 things also apply to life and to Fambly.
1. Heroes don't always know that they're heroes. Well, Disney characters always seem to know deep down inside that they are heroes, even if they deny it at the beginning of the movie. Paula and Mary Jane are my heroes that probably don't know it. I admire what they have done under very difficult circumstances. It doesn't feel to me as though I could have done the same.
2. There's always someone you can trust. With Disney, it's usually an animal with some kind of cute face. With Fambly, it's usually a sibling with some kind of smartass comment.
3. There is always a sequel. True enough. Either way.
So this is just a few of the "10 things". But for myself, summer blockbusters and fambly have some other things in common. They can be epic, like fambly weddings (Gloucester anyone?). Word spreads fast--looks like we've had a Facebook pandemic with the Ryans recently. They are a fun way to waste an afternoon (too obvious to elaborate). They can make a lot of money--OK, not all the analogies hit the mark.
Today was our last day of school. Perhaps the same for some of you. So now it feels like summer is really upon us. A new season for us and for Tim on his way to boot camp.
And one more from the article especially for Paula thinking about Tim: Everything will be OK in the end.
Summers 1973 (The Exorcist) and 1993 (Jurassic Park) represented!!

1 comment:
Summer Blockbusters, huh? Well I really can't relate to them much... I've never been on a ship as big as the Titanic, or seen a man dressed as a spider scale a wall.
But I do enjoy going to the movies. You are right about the basics that you can count on in a movie, what with heroes (thanks for the shout out on that topic, but you definatley could, and would have done fine under similar circumstances - just be greatful you never had to)and villians... No one does villians like Disney!
I love movies for the escape. I love to go to that place and be that person for a couple hours. Now that I think of it, that's what summer is all about, escaping, going to another place...It all ties in, doesn't it?
Some of us don't get to have the down time in the summer that educators get. (But we also don't deal with the challenges that you do.) So I escape in the movies, either in the theater, or watching an old black and white Carey Grant movie in my living room. I love it all.
I also love my fambly... summer or winter. Here's to new seasons, new fambly members (Bill's Amanda is due any day now, and Kevin will be marrying a great girl in Sarah this summer)and new adventures (Tim)!
Have a blockbuster Summer!
Post a Comment