Friday, July 25, 2014

Flynn vs. Alfred 1927

I don't know about you, but I never tire of reading these articles.  This is from an Alfred area newspaper following their 57-0 drubbing at the hands of St. Bonaventure led by Weenie.  He gained 310 yards and scored 4 touchdowns in this game.  Another article about this game referred to him as "brilliant".  Who wouldn't love to read that about their beloved grandfather?

Maybe this cool (almost fall-like) morning brought this to mind today.  Seriously it is so much fun to Google Weenie. (Well, be careful to include the Flynn part maybe with Olean so you don't get any nasty surprises in the results).  If  you haven't done so while you are wasting time on the internet, I strongly recommend it. 

Paula mentioned the porch of the kitchen at 206 Tompkins street from the last post.  Yes, I remember that porch too.  I think Nanny had flowers out there we were sometimes allowed to water with one of those watering cans that had a very long skinny curved neck.  I always loved to do that.  And the bubbles, of course!  Nice, comforting memories.  Ahhhhh........

1 comment:

PaulaO said...

I do love to read and hear about what other people thought of our grandfather. Unfortunately, I can't read this one because it is too small, even when I pull it up separately. But maybe I will google him, like you suggest. I have never done that!

Our Weenie was a very special man. We were lucky to have him as a grandfather. I wonder what Mom thought of him as a dad? We never talk about such things until someone passes, but I never asked her what he was like. He was so loving to all of us. Nanny was less demonstrative in her feelings for us. But Weenie balanced it off, so maybe she didn't feel like she had to be full of hugs and loving words. Mom was a nice combination of both her parents, I think.