One thing I have to say I miss in retirement is interaction and conversation with adults other than the tight social group with whom I choose to spend time. This week's news and media storm over Bowe Bergdahl's release in exchange for Guantanamo prisoners just begs for lunchtime banter with a variety of people who get their news from an even wider variety of sources.
I have formed some opinions but I wonder how they will hold up in public discussion. Having people around every day (more than) willing to share their own opinions helps to structure and validate my own. So I feel a little adrift without such an anchor in my everyday life.
We generally surround ourselves with people of like minds so those people may not offer those other viewpoints that are so important when forming opinions on popular topics. Sometimes we feel very strongly about something and we don't need or want validation from others. We'll stick to our guns regardless. I'm not referring to such times in this case.
As I said, in this case with Bowe Bergdahl and the surrounding controversies, I have formed some opinions but am open to discussion and further input so I can solidify my stance. Our cats do not help me with this and they are the ones I usually share my lunch with these days. So--to the adults in my past life--I miss you even if I may have thought you idiots in the not-too-distant past.
Having said that, I am not one bit sorry I retired. The transition feels nearly complete--I was told it takes about a year and I guess that means I'm right on schedule. It does feel very weird to be a "retired" person. Aren't those people old???
1 comment:
I think you just need to find a new place to have your "community" discussions. Like a diner? I used to waitress at a diner and the retired men would come in a debate all the current topics. There never were many women there, but I say, go for it! I guess in our grandparents day, the women would go to the hairdresser weekly and discuss whatever they thought worthy.
I think it is really important to continue to stay involved and with opinions. It keeps us lively! You do have several sisters who like to talk.... just saying....
Yes, retired people ARE old! Unless you are brilliant, and planned well, and can retire when you are young and frisky! I think you are in the second group! Wish I was...
Post a Comment