Tuesday, May 6, 2014

I have just returned from a quick visit to Erie to see Amy and help with some wedding planning.  I thought this would be a good time to update you all as well so you could plan appropriately.  Amy's wedding to Michael Heisler will be held in the Erie PA area in August 2015.  Although the venue has not been confirmed, she is planning to be married Sunday Aug 16 2015.  So--yes, the wedding is in Erie PA on a Sunday in August.

She is debating between two venues.  Nick's Place and the Ambassador Center.  I think you can get a hint from their names of the major differences between the two sites.  She has some tough decisions to make in this regard!!!

Nick's Place is 15-20 minutes from Erie closer to Edinboro (a college town).  If she chooses Nick's Place, we would probably arrange for rooms at a Comfort Inn in Edinboro as well as for rooms in Erie PA for those that might prefer to be closer to the highway and city life.

The Ambassador Center is conveniently located just off the highway in Erie and has two hotels available at the site.  If she selects the Ambassador Center, the reception would be held from 6-10 PM as per their policy.

In either case, it is her intention to hold the ceremony at the reception venue.  We understand this is both long into the future as well as a long trip for most of you so I wanted to get the word out for you to start thinking about your plans.  If you are interested in what goes on in Erie PA, check out www.visiterie.com 

Wedding planning is stressful for all as it tends to say a great deal about the personalities of the couple while at the same time attempting to appease the interests of the families involved.  Amy told me her main focus will be on making the day wonderful for her guests.  I remain uncertain of how to behave as a future mother-in-law.  When you have children, there are some helpful guidelines provided for how to be a good parent.  Not so much in this world of in-lawing.


Of course, this all brings to mind other Ryan weddings.  I think about what Mom and Dad must have been feeling.  It wasn't new to them as it is for us, but each child and spouse carry their own weight with their parents and in laws. However, to keep tradition alive, we will try to remember to provide a scoreboard to keep track of favorite uncle points :)

1 comment:

PaulaO said...

Ahh, being an in-law. I was not blessed with a girl, so I can not speak to the challenges of being the Mother-of-the-Bride. However I have been blessed with three, count them three daughter-in-laws. I have been successful cultivating two of them into very close "daughters". Again, depending on personalities, this can be achieved in different ways. I find that that the most difficult part is to switch from that parent who always advised, always had an opinion to the parent willing to listen and support WITHOUT lending an opinion. Now, this may work better when you have a daughter in law. I have no way of knowing. There are always times where your opinion is sought, and then it is wonderful and fine to have an opinion. But sons, tend to not ask for opinions as often as a daughter does, so this was a huge adjustment for me.

I can't wait for the wedding! I'm sure it will be lots of fun. I love when family gets together. Some of the best memories are made at family gatherings

I guess I don't have a ton of advise, except always keep the lines of communication open so your child can always come to you when they need you. And they DO still need you. Thank Heaven!