I don't know how to accurately describe Ron's role in our lives but the fact that you each already know who he is speaks to the overall impact he's had on our lives. His influence is infused in nearly every part and parcel of our daily life. Losing that defies my ability to generate appropriate words.
Many of Ron's actions resulted in WWSS: Wait!...What?....sigh...shake head. Some of his actions had us laughing and others could be irritating. That's life in close proximity. As Amy stated, it never would even throw her off to awaken in the morning to find him seated at our kitchen table having coffee. Even if we weren't there. Especially if we weren't there. Our guests would have to come to terms with this other adult having complete access to our home at nearly any time of day--though most regularly about 30 minutes after he'd had his breakfast at the diner. Then he'd make his most reliable rest stop on the way to his house...our downstairs bathroom. Wait! What? Sigh. Shake head.
One day I came home from work to find his backhoe in my yard. He'd removed our old oil tank (yeah) and then decided we needed a garden in its place. So he proceeded to create a garden. And hand me the bill. Always something discounted from Lowe's. Wait! What? Sigh. Shake head.
Another time Amy tested positive for strep and was required to stay home for 2 days. Ron was recovering from surgery and offered to stay at the house with her so I could go to work. I accepted gratefully. When I got home, I discovered he'd washed my kitchen floor. Wait! What? Sigh. Shake head.
Just a few days ago, he left a broken tombstone at my house. Wait! What? Sigh. Shake head. Less said about that, the better.
And literally hundreds of similar moments filled the years since I met him 34 years ago. It's a huge loss. It feels like something really big came to an abrupt halt. A way of life. A certain work ethic. A particular kind of community living. My own work life. Damn him.
Olympics Summer party 1996
Outer Banks 1996
Puerto Rico 1998
Long Island
2001
June 15 2013 at Mudville





1 comment:
I describe Ron as part of your family. He is your "Aunt Jean". Chosen "family members" are so special because YOU put them in your family. Of course, in this case, Ron put himself in your family. You and Jim were smart enough to keep him there.
I'm so sorry for your loss. But in reality, having Ron in your lives was never a loss. All you ever got were benefits. Smiles, sighs, and head shakes. Hmmmm, not a bad legacy at all.
You described this event to me in the days following the news as "something big has ended". You are so right. Something big has ended. But only the live version has ended. Thank heaven for the photos, the videoes, and the memories. His influence on so many lives will not end so long as we all remember.
Wait! This is too soon. We aren't ready. What? Not Ron. It can't be. Sigh.... Oh, Ron we will miss you. Thank you for being there for my sister's family. Shake Head. You were one unique individual who influenced many. We were better for having known you.
Post a Comment