Be Kind To Francis Day 2012. Spoil someone today. Judy's suggestion is to give yourself a break today. Either way, I'm thinking about Weenie and perhaps you are too. Although I always understood that we were very lucky in many ways that Weenie was our grandfather, I didn't appreciate it nearly enough. It wasn't until I realized that my own children will never have a similar experience that I truly saw the blessing it was to have Nanny and Weenie in our lives so regularly.
Seeing that envelope with Weenie's familiar handwriting in the mail was always a special treat. Here's one I have that appears to have been written while hospitalized with a heart attack. Although I don't know for certain, the Congrats for Mary Jane at the end makes me think this might be about the time she received First Communion--probably around 1969.
He lovingly refers to Nanny and notes his appreciation at being remembered from his friends in Olean. How ironic considering the coverage his death generated! And he signs off "Strongheart", which I can't help seeing and thinking how (once again) he was before his time and the time of "Braveheart".
I remember T.B.I.B.; declaring a dividend; 4-5 and Fat Aunt Marge and loads of other classic "Weenie"-isms. Do you have any letters of his still that you'd like to share? If so, let's get them scanned and posted. This one might be a few weeks after the one above. It references moving to town so that had to be 1969/70 time frame.
I take great comfort in seeing that familiar handwriting again. Thank you Strongheart for loving us just for being your grandkids.
A shout out to Ryan Patrick newly arrived at Clarkson! Have a grand adventure.





1 comment:
Lovely tribute, Pat! What a treasure to have. I never had the pleasure of knowing any of my grandparents, due to my parents meeting and marrying later in life.
Post a Comment