I thought I'd share some more Dennison Road memories. That gutter behind you there near the bush is where the hornets nest was that Dad disturbed and Paula got stung by her eye. That's the window to Chris' room. I grew my 4H gourd garden right there by the iron fence. That was a great place to grow up for the outside play opportunities. Not so much on the inside except I always found the front porch to be isolated enough to find some peace now and again.
There were those nice bushes in the front by the window that I loved so much I tried to grow one here. I remember the Dennison Road bushes as having fairly sturdy branches and lots of pretty white flowers. Mine here isn't nearly as robust. We had that good size yard AND a huge field -- not to mention the woods. I remember we set up a "jail" in the front woods down a little embankment in there. Can't remember why we needed a jail. I do remember Benny regularly escaping into the woods.
Sometime Benny would be tied to that iron fencing on the patio so there'd be a fair share of poop to welcome visitors. There was a wooden plank to walk up--not sure why that was there unless it had to do with poop. Or tripping on the cement and breaking milk bottles. I can remember the milk delivery!
Maybe the infamous red bike was new in 1964. I think this is the Dennison Road lawn though I don't remember sidewalk right there. Looks like Paula (in a dress) on the tricycle in the driveway back there. We did love riding those bikes around and around.
Here's an angle that shows the front lawn on Dennison Road--and coincidentally shows off my usual flair for style. I didn't remember that garage door being red.
Another view of the property:
THE BLUE DRESS
I think this is right before the Toronto trip they took. Shirley stayed with us part of the time and we took that epic hike up the creek to her house. I hope you enjoyed this little trip down Dennison Road!




1 comment:
Ahhh, Dennison Road! I do remember quite a bit about that house, and the surrounding property.
I want to note first, though, that most of the "dog tales" probably were with Fella. We didn't get Benny until we were in Walton, I think. I'm not positive, but I think I remember Fella's ear problems in the Bruce St house.
I know how close you were with both Fella and Benny, Patty Anne, so I'm shocked you don't remember that!
Anyway, I remember quite vividly getting stung by a wasp from that nest. Dad used to get so mad when any of us were hurt, that he blamed me for looking up at the nest and getting stung!
I realize now that Dad was just nervous if we were hurt, and that was his way of pushing the fear away. But it was tough when you were injured, and all he could do was be mad! I think that's why I remember that sting so clearly. I sure do wish he just wanted to hug us instead of yell at us at times like that.
I remember Mary Jane trying to bring in the glass milk bottles that were in a wire rack that the milk man was delivering and she fell on that patio. The bottles broke and she got a cut that required stitches in her arm. Dad got mad at the milkman that time. He (the milkman) should have known MJ was too little to carry those bottles! (at least he wasn't mad at Mary Jane).
That property was pretty big by today's standards. We had the house, the barn, the guest house attached to the garage! Sounds pretty fancy, a guest house!
We had the big front yard, with big trees that kept it shaded most of the time. And those fun bushes with the little white flowers- spirea- We used to sit under them and shake the branches and it was like it was snowing in the summer!
We had a middle yard. The area between the house and the barn. The two apple trees were on the border between that yard and the hay field. We would play "Red Light- Green Light" in that yard.
Then there was the back yard. The area between the barn and the woods. There was a swing set and the sand box out there.
We really were lucky to have such wonderful places to explore and play.
Thanks for the walk down memory lane!
Post a Comment