Sunday, March 6, 2011

Luck of the Irish

I have some "new" old Irish ancestors for you!  These are the Gloucester Irish, so they are up Dad's line of ancestry.  You probably know that Capt John Bentley (your great great grandfather) drowned aboard the Schooner Paul Revere in 1882 while fishing the Grand Banks.  On board was his father in law Martin Costello. 

Martin's wife, Julie Costello, lived in Gloucester for several years after Martin's death but sometime around 1900 moved to Boston and died in 1901 at the age of 81.  It was reported she was living with her niece but I haven't yet untangled that particular spider web of in laws.  A while back, I told you that her death certificate indicated her parents were Thomas and Monica McDonough (nee Tierney). 

Recently I came across Monica Tierney McDonough's death certificate which you can see here

I was quite stunned to find her in Boston as I had no idea she had come to the United States.  This is your g-g-g-great grandmother--and her parents are Martin and Monica Tierney.  She was 85 when she died.

 Some further research uncovered a brother to Julia named James McDonough.  His death record is here
 
It's probably a little hard to see, but he was 66 and lived in Boston also.  He appears to have been married though I haven't yet found his family.  It's very intriguing to me that Julia's mother was right there in Boston.  I hope to learn more of that story!  I'll be needing to get McDonough and Tierney pins to add to my collection of Irish surname pins!

So here are a few words from a book of Irish Blessings that Kathy shared with me:
Like the warmth of the sun
And the light of the day
May the luck of the Irish
Shine bright on your way

Have a great week rich with new names!

No comments: