What do you like (to do or to be or to see) that other people think is weird? This week while Amy was home we had spaghetti for dinner one night and she mentioned that her friends think it's weird that she puts butter on her pasta. That's one of those things we grew up with so it doesn't seem the least bit odd to us. Sometimes we forget that not everyone has the same experiences, so it's good to be reminded once in a while. Although you always do hope that whatever it is that someone else finds "weird", they aren't also finding it "disgusting".
I like to SLEEP. And I pretty much like everything associated with sleep--blankets, pillows, quiet time and comfortable rest. Some people think that is weird. I guess it's not really so much the sleep they find weird -- it's that I love to NAP. I guess this is on my mind because we sprang forward last night and lost an hour of sleep. I did rest my eyes this afternoon in peace and quiet. Much easier to accomplish now that Amy has returned to school. It was very nice and reminded me of how much I just love to nap.
I do believe, however, that this is also something I came by honestly. The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, as Mom would say. Nanny and Weenie in particular seemed to enjoy resting. Both Mom and Dad napped. When I was in college, my naps were usually deep deep sleep often with vivid (sometimes BAD) dreams. I don't get that kind of sleep too often anymore but it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of a good nap that brings on a renewed refreshed state of mind.
Are there things that you do that other people think are strange? Don't worry--YOU aren't strange--we all are!
2 comments:
Funny that you should mention the spaghetti. As I was reading the first line, the same thing popped into my mind before I even read what you wrote. My high school friends regularly commented when I put butter on mine.
My college friends comment when I say that someone "tends bar" instead of bar-tends. I don't know why they find it odd, it seems normal to me.
I vacuum my kitchen floor too. (mostly because I hate to sweep)
Yes, the spaghetti and butter thing has always caused comments for me too. I really don't know why, if they would just try it, they would love it....
I also remember when I was young having my friends think it was the strangest thing in the world that dad did the ironing. I never thought it strange, because that is what we knew. But when my friends would come over and dad was standing at the ironing board... that was foreign to them. When they discribed me they called me "the one who's dad irons".
As for me, I have many quirks. but none that come to me at the moment. I didn't like it when I was different when I was a teen, but now I love it.
I remember Timmy telling me when he was a teenager that he HATED his name, especially his middle name (Flynn). He thought it was odd and weird and wished I never had given it to him. I felt bad at the time. Recently he told me how much he loves and treasures his unique family name. Ahhhh, another good thing about growing older. I love it.
Post a Comment