Monday, December 14, 2009

Memories of Nanny


I was baking cut out Christmas cookies late last week. I can't use my rolling pin without thinking of Nanny. You see, my rolling pin was once Nanny's. Mom had it after Nanny passed away, and I got it after that.
While I'm rolling out the dough it is impossible NOT to think of how many batches of cookies, how many pies this ol' rolling pin has helped bring to the table... Nanny sure could bake a great pie, couldn't she? I don't remember Mom making as many, mostly because Nanny was there on special occasions and would do the baking.
There is a dent in the end of the handle. I'm sure Weenie would lay claim to that. He used to say Nanny would hit him on the head with her rolling pin! I think I used to believe him, when I was very young. It makes me laugh to think of it now.
I don't recall baking with Nanny very often... altho she did teach me how to bake a great pie crust. But I can't make rolled sugar cookies without thinking of her, not because SHE made these kind of cookies, but because she used that rolling pin before me (either to bake a pie, or to keep Weenie in line).
Happy baking to you all this holiday season!

1 comment:

Pat D said...

Great post and picture, Paula! Thanks for the memories.