I hope this picture does justice to this item. Someday someone surely will be wondering why this is in my jewelry box, but I'll bet you recognize it. If not, you certainly would if you saw it in person.
Weenie must have preferred these nylon socks. My memory of course relates to playing Hearts for half a penny a point (or something like that). I have many many memories of playing cards with Mom, Dad, Nanny and Weenie. Until I was a parent myself I'm not sure I realized that perhaps not everyone would have approved of this family style gambling, but it was such fun. We were very lucky to have that experience. I still have a sock tied up with a few pennies in the toe from those days.
But this particular sock tells the story of an even greater chapter in our lives. It was tied to Mary Jane's bed railing in the hospital. They were escorting Kathy and I from the room and getting ready to move her when somehow I remembered that silly sock was there. I knew if I didn't get it back I might never see it again so I asked the staff to bring it to us. It meant a great deal to me at the time and still today. I think Mary Jane must have had it tied to her bed rail because it brought her comfort and that's why I sometimes carry it around in my pocket.
On this first day of fall, here's to Mary Jane and Weenie!
3 comments:
CHEERS TO MARY JANE AND WEENIE!!!
Who could forget Weenie's sock?! Just seeing that picture reminded me of many nights sitting together at the kitchen table playing cards. Do you remember Fan-Tan? I have never found anyone else that knew that card game... Makes me wonder the history of it...
What I guess I never realized was that Mary Jane had the sock at her bedside during her battle. How did I miss that?
I'm glad you got it Patty Anne. And I think there would be plenty of times I would want to carry it in my pocket too! This was a perfect "Provenance" piece.
I didn't know that about the sock in the hospital either. I certainly do remember it and Hearts and Fan Tan. I also remember being able to eat all the Cheese Its I wanted to.
I am very grateful for those memories.
Love to everyone (because I don't express it nearly enough)
Post a Comment