Thursday, August 21, 2008

Nanny is getting "analyzed"!! Imagine what she would say...


I won a contest today! I submitted this letter from Nanny for handwriting analysis and it was selected! This analysis will be broadcast in an upcoming Genealogy Gems podcast episode and I will keep you posted. Other samples have been very interesting to listen to and I'm looking forward to what this expert will have to say.


And here's what I had to say when I submitted the letter: Attached please find a candidate for handwriting analysis on your show. This is a rare example of a handwritten letter from my grandmother C. Paula Nevins Flynn. She normally used a typewriter so I have very few extended samples of her handwriting, so I treasure this especially. One reason I believe this is worthy of consideration is that I haven't heard any analysis of female ancestors yet and I hold my grandmother in very high esteem as a great example of a woman living before her time.She was born in 1910 and grew up in family who held the value of education very dear. She graduated from college in a time when this was relatively rare. Even more "appalling" was that she chose to work outside the home when my mother (her only child) was young (mid to late 1930s). I do believe it was a choice and not necessarily dictated by the Depression economy.Throughout her life, she made unconventional choices. Even in death, when she chose to be cremated knowing the Catholic church did not approve. Her Catholic roots and devotion ran deep yet she decided to forgo a "proper" Catholic funeral and burial due to her desire to be cremated.For this and other reasons I created and sponsor a graduation award to honor a graduate pursuing unconventional educational opportunities.I am so proud to have come from such a strong role model, but am curious about the parts of her personality I never got to know. Another reason I find this letter interesting is that it was written just post the great "No-Name" storm on the East coast in March 1993 which we all remember quite vividly. We got some 3-4 feet of snow dropped rather suddenly in mid March which "cancelled" my daughter's 5th birthday. Many memories arise from that weather event (hey--how about that podcast question/survey?) and this letter helps commemorate my grandmother and the storm.

1 comment:

PaulaO said...

Congratulations on winning the contest. I remember you mentioning it when we went to Reading. I'm looking forward to what they say. Very cool.