Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Rose by any other name....


When you study family history, you learn that some cultures have traditions when it comes to naming children. For most, the first son is named after his paternal grandfather and so forth. Although this is not as common these days, it's a tool that can be used when studying ancestors.


Weenie's parents have always been a bit of a mystery and I've been making some progress recently with Patrick and Barbara. Their parents names have been a bit elusive so it is natural that I'd be looking at Weenie's given name for clues. Francis Patrick.


The Patrick part is pretty easy, Weenie's father. But where did Francis come from? There is no evidence of Francis in either family tree even though I haven't gotten too far back with them yet. I think he was named after an influential family and town forefather in Emporium PA, Weenie's birthplace.


When Barbara's sister Anna came to America, she reported she planned to live with her Aunt Mary in Emporium Aunt Mary Gallenmiller, her brother John Bauer and husband Andrew all worked the Blumle farm (pictured).


FX Blumle was a brewer (!) and farmer. He was known as Frank and his wife Frances. I feel certain Barbara was also influenced by Aunt Mary and her patrons the Blumles. In fact, I recall the church representative telling Mom and I that Weenie had the Blumles as his godparents and that the Blumles were a very important family. I believe Francis came from the Blumle influence.


BUT Weenie's original birth certificate lists his name as James Thomas. No James' in the lineup either, but I'm not done yet! Thomas is Weenie's German (maternal) grandfather.

2 comments:

PaulaO said...

Are you telling us that Weenie's name changed? That is news to me! Wow! Do you think Patrick and Barbara were influenced by their benefactors, or do you think it was the Irish name? Certainly it would be more influencial to be named after an important man in the area, and a brewer to boot, at that time than to be seen as another irish immigrant. Makes you wonder.

This is great stuff.

Pat D said...

Well, I assume his name changed from James Thomas to Francis Patrick. I suppose it could have been some kind of clerical error and he was never intended to be names James Thomas at all but I suspect his name originally was James Thomas. The date was adjusted too from Aug 23 to Aug 24 but no matter what else ever happens, Aug 24 will always be "Be Kind to Francis Day"!