Sunday, May 4, 2008


First of all, Happy Birthday Matthew! I hope you had a great day.


Mother's Day, of course, makes me think of Mom. One of the things I think about with Mom is how in the world she was able to raise all 6 of us. They must have had to stretch Dad's paychecks pretty far although as a child, I never felt like we struggled or were poor or deprived.


As I think about my childhood now, I realize there were some ways Mom was obviously trying to save money and one place was with meals. They were pretty economical. Meatloaf was not something she did well. I never realized there was any other way to have meatloaf than that dark brick we were presented with. Meatloaf CAN be juicy, even tasty, when done differently than with Mom's recipe. Same thing with pork chops. I was a full adult before I realized they didn't have to resemble cardboard in texture and taste.


One of my favorite meals was tuna fish and french fries. This was a Friday meal since we observed the Catholic tradition at the time. I also liked pork and sauerkraut, but that was a dangerous choice with children in the house! Dad's b-b-q chicken tasted pretty good too. I liked to have roast pork for birthday dinner.


Going to Foits for fish fry was a treat--must have been a pretty good deal in order for them to take us all there somewhat regularly. That's the only restaurant meal I remember except for where we might go with Nanny and Weenie.


So, I appreciate never feeling seriously deprived when I know it must have been very tough. What did you appreciate Mom for?

3 comments:

CHRIS said...

WELL FOR THE FIRST THING I LIKED MOM'S MEATLOAF!!!!!!

CHRIS said...

OK, NOW MORE THINGS I REMEMBER ABOUT MOM. I HAVE TO AGREE SHE SURE KNEW HOW TO MAKE NOT ALOT OF FOOD GO A LONG WAY! I ALSO WONDER HOW THEY DID ALL OF IT WITH JUST DAD WORKING WHEN WE WERE YOUNGER. BUT THEN AGAIN I REMEMBER HOLES FROM RUST IN THE FLOORBOARDS OF THAT OLD FORD STATION WAGON, IT WAS BLUE AND HAD KIND OF WINGS ON THE BACK, CAN'T REMEMBER THE YEAR OR MODEL THOUGH. I THINK THE BIGGEST THING I REMEMBER ABOUT MOM WAS THE TIME THE TWO OF US USED TO WATCH MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL TOGETHER IN THE DEN IN SILVER CREEK. IT WAS USUALLY JUST US TWO, DAD WAS IN ELLICOTVILLE THEN AND NO BODY ELSE WAS THAT INTERESTED IN FOOTBALL AT THE TIME I GUESS. AS FAR AS OTHER MEALS, THE THING I REMEMBER MOST WAS DAD ALWAYS BITCHING AFTER HE ASKED IF THE BEEF WAS COOKED ENOUGH AND THEN SOMEONE WOULD SAY IT WASN'T, "WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT COOKED ENOUGH" OF COURSE HIM AND MOM BOTH LIKED THIER MEAT VERY RED, AND I MEAN VERY, RED IN THE MIDDLE! I REMEBER GOING GROCERY SHOPPING WITH MOM ALOT TOO. THEN THERE WERE THE COUPLE OF TIMES WE WENT SHOPPING, IN ONEONTA I THINK, AND SHE WOULD JUST PUT THE CAR IN PARK AND TELL ME TO PARK IT, SHE DIDN'T LIKE THOSE "SMALL PARKING SPOTS", MAYBE THAT'S WHY I DRIVE TODAY??? I REMEMBER GOING FOR THE FISH FRYS TOO, THEY WERE REALLY GOOD AS I REMEMBER. I VISITED THE CEMETARY ON MARY JANES BIRTHDAY, EVERYTHING WAS QUIET. KIND OF EARLY IN THE YEAR TO, BUT I WAS ABLE TO RIDE THE BIKE OVER. GUESS I HAVE RAMBLED ON ENOUGH FOR ONE DAY. TAKE CARE ALL. CHRIS

PaulaO said...

Ok. I'm trying this again. I wrote a very good comment to Patty Annes blog about mom, I thought it posted, but it didn't. This is the first chance I have had to try again.

I think that Mom wasn't the best cook. But I also think that she did AMAZING things with very little money. The meat loaf wasn't my favorite. But I remember Chris really liking it. I like my own now. I think Mom tried to stretch it. I just don't remember ever being hungry, or feeling like I didn't have enough.

I remember that Mom and Dad got a big upright freezer when we lived on Dennison road. (We played with the box for days) Barone's Meat delivered a side of beef all wrapped in white paper in bushel baskets. They put the freezer on the front porch. I don't know if it's the same one that was in the back porch at Bruce street, but it might have been.

One of my favorite meals that Mom made was Macaroni, Cheese, and Tomatoes. Dad didn't like it, so we'd have it when he wasn't going to be there. I made it all the time for my kids, and to this day it is one of their favorite meals.

Mom wasn't the most affectionate mother. Not a lot of hugs and kisses. But I do know that I never felt like she loved one of the other kids any more (or less) that she loved me. With six kids, that's pretty amazing. I always felt loved. I know I was a pain in the butt to my siblings (whining, tattling) so there were times that I thought no one liked me but Mom always made sure I felt loved. She would try to help me without making me feel bad. It was a gift. Now I can keep secrets! Thanks Mom.